End of the World Travel

Sunday 19 February 2017

The New Millenium

Global Y2K crisis! The millenium bug! Planes falling from the sky! Computers crashing!...The end of the world as we know it!

At the ripe old age of 49 I have lived through many doomsday predictions that failed to manifest. The most publicised of these being the millennium bug scare 1999/2000 and the Mayan calendar predictions of the Apocalypse  in 2012. Hmmm, indeed and really?

In this blog I will share my thoughts and actions at the time of the Y2K new millennium freak out of 1999/2000, and share with you the journey I embarked on as a result. 


It was definitely the end of my world as I knew it!


Prologue
A brief synopsis of the chain of events which led to me completely changing my life and adopting the title of the Intrepid Traveller Extraordinaire aka …The Lesser Spotted Backpacker

1st January 2000 – Belfast N. Ireland

Thankfully, the world did not dissolve/explode/change as we know it as soon as the clock struck midnight on 31st December. I did however, take Prince's advice to party like it was 1999 and;
 a) It might be my last night as a free earth dweller 
 b) The known world might imploded in on itself 
 c) People could start falling out of the sky as aeroplane navigation and aerodynamic capabilities failed miserably.

Woke up with a hangover, followed by relief at lack of world destruction, and an incredible feeling of, “My god, I’m 32yrs old with another year of boredom stretching out before me.” What to do to address such a conundrum?

Two choices;
  1. Sell home, leave job, move to London to pursue singing/acting career.
  2. Sell home, leave job, travel the world.
Congratulations on deciding to celebrate your liberty, the lack of world destruction and enter yet another phase of your life and choosing option 1.

August 2001 - London England
33yrs of age
Overweight
Boring dead end job
Alone in London with no social life
Nil success on singing/acting career

Two Choices;
1) Change my life
2) Remain embedded in the status Quo

Congratulations you have chosen option 1 and in the words of the all immortal Status Quo*…lets go Rockin all Over the World!
This is my cue to take a year off and travel to exotic places

*70’s/80’s UK,iconic rock band (it’s amazing what you can achieve with 4 chords…just ask the Beatles).

N.B. So, how did these chain of events chance my life as I'd known it? 
I finally found the courage I'd been looking for for many years to do something I'd always wanted to do but had been to scared to initiate...TRAVEL :) 



No comments: